The spring season has been coming on here in New Mexico with a real sense of urgency! If you haven’t already, you’ll soon be relying on your air conditioning system to provide some serious comfort control. Is your system prepared to provide its best performance? If not, the experts at B. Carlson Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing are here today to help you get your system in top gear.
With the coming heat, it’s the perfect time to set a date for your air conditioner or heat pump maintenance service. Contact our experts online today to schedule your professional tune-up!
7 Tips for Perfect Cooling This Spring
Before you kick your system on for the season, there are some things that need to get done. All of these tips are aimed at optimizing your system and protecting it against complications down the line, so be sure to follow along!
- Swap and or upgrade your air filter. Your air filter is the HVAC system’s first line of defense against clogging and air flow problems. A new, clean one will provide you with energy-efficient operation, protect your system from many common complications, and can even help to improve your indoor air quality. The filter should be changed every two or so months, and you might consider upgrading to pleated filters for more performance gains.
- Clean the outdoor unit. Central cooling, ductless systems, and heat pumps all rely on an outdoor unit. Over time, the condenser coils (fins) of the unit can get bogged and clogged with leaves, dirt, and debris. Clearing all of this away will help with air flow, and keep your system performing better overall.
- Dust off the system. The AC has been dormant for months, and that’s plenty of time to build up a thick coating of dust. Clearing it off ensures the dust doesn’t wind up in the system or clogging up the electrical connections. It also prevents a considerable fire hazard, so that’s a good point, too!
- Clean and clear your vents. If you use a ducted air conditioning system, you should be sure to clean and open all of the vents in your home. This promotes more even cooling, helping to avoid uncomfortable warm or hot spots that might develop otherwise.
- Get professional maintenance. Cleaning and replacing the filter are very important steps, but when it comes to getting the most out of your HVAC system, absolutely nothing is more vital than professional service! A tune-up from B. Carlson ensures you get the highest efficiency and performance from your system, and also prevents many of the most common causes for an AC repair.
- Consider duct cleaning services. Duct cleaning is a service that should be sought consistently, but we say “consider” because you might well have had it this past winter, in which case you might hold off a bit. But if you haven’t had duct cleaning recently, you stand to gain a lot of improvements to air quality and efficiency by seeking the service!
- Test your thermostat. Once all else has been handled, it’s a good idea to go ahead and give your system a test run. Allow the system about an hour, and ensure it is a) cooling like it should, and b) is running quietly, and not short-cycling. Also be sure the thermostat is displaying correctly. This gives you the opportunity to catch problems early so you can get repairs before the heat really starts to set in.
AC Maintenance in the Albuquerque Area
Like your car, your home’s air conditioner needs routine maintenance to keep it operating at peak efficiency when you need it most. With B. Carlson Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing, you can rest easy knowing you have dedicated professionals on the job.
Call our cooling experts today at 505-225-3016 to learn more about our air conditioner maintenance in Albuquerque, New Mexico!